In 1965, Jackie Rose opened The Store in Sugarbush Village. The Village was designed so winter skiers could ski off the trail for lunch and shopping and summer visitors could hike and swim. Complete with condominiums, restaurants and a nursery school, the Village was an exciting place to be. Jackie while taking advantage of the burgeoning condominium craze of the sixties and seventies sought to bring exciting cookware and home accessories to Sugarbush and the Mad River Valley. The Store had large rocks on the floor to soak up the snow from the ski boots and its home over Chez Henri always smelled heavenly.
By 1985 the condominiums had been built and furnished. The Valley was changing. It became apparent that with the growth of The Valley there was more need for Jackie’s Store in town rather than on the Mountain. The old 1834 Methodist Meeting House on Route 100 in Waitsfield was purchased and renovated to house The Store. Antiques were added upstairs (one of Jackie’s many passions) and a children’s room for all the young families in town. With a larger footprint The Store expanded to offer a larger variety of Specialty & Gourmet Foods, distinctive kitchenware, more home accessories and at Christmas an amazing display of holiday decorations. Christmas at The Store is a Mad River Valley tradition that can’t be missed.
As the Valley again began to change in the 21st Century, The Store changed as well. The Food Channel and the resurgence of home cooking spurned the next great idea. The Children’s room in the rear of the building was replaced with a kitchen that is a cooks’ dream. The Store started offering cooking classes and a new chapter in the history of The Store began. Learn, Create Eat was born and no one leaves hungry.